Pastitsio (greek pasta bake). The Pastitsio (or Pastichio) is a famous Greek pasta bake with a spiced meat sauce and a silky béchamel. It's ideal for a delicious Sunday dinner and it also freezes very well. Heat olive oil in a pan and cook garlic, onions and beef mince until meat is browned.
Add in tomato sauce, wine, can of undrained diced tomatoes and seasonings. Pastitsio, or pastichio (the spelling doesn't translate so well) combines two family favourites – macaroni and cheese and pasta bolognese to form a sort of Greek lasagne. Basically it is pasta in a bolognese-type sauce topped with a simple Béchamel sauce and baked in the oven. You can cook Pastitsio (greek pasta bake) using 16 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pastitsio (greek pasta bake)
- Prepare 500 grams of (gluten free) pasta e.g. fusilli.
- You need 1 of sea salt.
- Prepare 1 of extra virgin olive oil.
- It’s 500 ml of (semi-skimmed) milk.
- It’s 3 tsp of margarine.
- You need 6 tbsp of corn flour.
- You need 2 tsp of grated nutmeg.
- You need 500 grams of minced veal or extra lean beef.
- Prepare 250 ml of tomato passata.
- It’s 1 large of onion, finely squared.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic, finely grated.
- Prepare 1 tsp of grated cinammon.
- Prepare 2 tsp of allspice.
- It’s 2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper.
- It’s 1/2 cup of red dry wine or 1/4 cup cognac.
- Prepare 1 cup of grated goat's cheese (e.g. feta).
And if you need a reference point, think of pastitsio as a baked pasta casserole or Greek lasagna. The Greek word pastitsio is derived from the Italian pasticcio, which loosely translates to a mess or a hodgepodge. Three essential components make up this dish—pasta, meat filling, and a creamy bechamel sauce— which are layered in a pan and baked to a golden brown. Watch the video in sign language here.
Pastitsio (greek pasta bake) instructions
- Boil the pasta in salted water and a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil , until al dente. Then drain. You shouldn't need to rinse with cold water, because you added oil during boiling..
- Boil the milk in a pan and then reduce the heat. Add the margarine and cornflour ehile continuously stiring to avoid burning at the bottom of the pan. I used a hand mixer at a slow speed. When the sause is slightly thick , you add the nutmeg and set aside..
- In another pan, you saute the minced meat. When brown and all juices are reduced, you add the finely chopped onion and grated garlic until transparent and flavour the minced meat. Then you pour either the wine or cognac. If kids are sharing this dish, then you can skip the alcohol. Then in go the passata and spices. You reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until you get a thick sauce with some juice left..
- In a baking tray, you place half of the pasta with some grated cheese and a scoop of the white sauce whle mixing everything evenly. Then you pour on top of the pasta mix, all the minced meat sauce with a scoop of the white sauce. Finally, you place the remaining pasta with some grated cheese ontop of the previous layers. At the end, you pour the remaining white sauce and grated cheese on top of the final pasta layer. You bake for 20- 30 minutes in a pre- heated oven (at 180oC) or until the top layer becomes golden (I know mine looks more brown 🙂 )..
Greek Pastitsio ready to bake Greek Pastitsio recipe – Prepare the pasta. The authentic Greek Pastitsio recipe is made with bucatini pasta, a thick pasta like spaghetti with a hole running through the center. This is how you will eat the dish in almost every Greek household or restaurant. When I think about a dinner-party, this Greek comfort pasta bake is always part of the menu. In Greek households, pastitsio is a must-have when having guests over.