Beans and plantain pottage. This One-Pot Beans and Plantains recipe (bean pottage I hear my Nigerian friends call it) is finger-licking street food at its best – think filling protein I sooooo remember sitting in my little corner biting into my black-eyed bean and plantain sandwiches, and seeing a few beans escape onto the table. Nigerian beans pottage is a staple in the food culture here in Nigeria. Some people use black eyed peas or honey brown beans one being sweeter.
I am making today's beans and yam plantain pottage the way I was taught. The flavour of the fried sauce with the sweetness of plantain would convert Boil the beans in water with seasoning cube and a little onions until it is soft and almost done. Whoever thought that plantain will turn out this good with sauteed vegetables. You can cook Beans and plantain pottage using 8 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Beans and plantain pottage
- You need 2 cups of beans.
- It’s 2 of big ripened plantains.
- You need 2 of bulbs of onion.
- You need 2 of knorr cubes.
- It’s of Fresh pepper & dry pepper.
- Prepare of Red oil. Your desired quantity.
- You need of Crayfish.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
Because of the veggies, didn't add locust beans. I'm not sure where the recipe for plantain pottage originated, but this dish is common in Nigeria. From the use of ground crayfish as a seasoning to the use of palm oil, the recipe is very local and authentic. Although it is inexpensive to prepare, it is highly nutritious.
Beans and plantain pottage step by step
- Pour beans in the pot unwashed and allow to boil for some minutes.
- Pour out into a sieve and and wash properly. Then pour back into the pot, add water and cover it to cook till it's soft.
- Cut your plantain into your desirable shapes and sizes.
- Add the plantain to the beans on fire.
- Add your diced onion.
- Add your seasoning cubes.
- Add your salt.
- Add one spoon of dry pepper.
- Add your crayfish. Cover and then allow to cook for some minutes.
- In a mota, pound your fresh pepper and some crayfish together and set aside.
- Place a pan with oil on fire and heat a little.
- Add you pepper and crayfish with onion and fry for like 30secs to one minute.
- Frying of the pepper and crayfish with onion.
- Pour your Fried pepper and crayfish with onion into the beans and cover to simmer for like 10secs and then stir together.
- Your beans and plantain pottage is ready 😋😋😋.
- I remain yours truly @chef_emryson..don't forget to follow me up on IG. Much love 😍😍😍❤❤.
Unripe plantain is rich in iron, which makes. Seared plantains doused in a luscious fire roasted tomato sauce with a hint of sea flavour. Plantain Porridge instead of Plantain Pottage. I grew up knowing these meals as Yam Porridge, Beans Porridge and Plantain It's archaic as you can see in the definition above. Yam Pottage, Plantain Pottage … mmmh no, thank you!