Red Wine Braised Beef.
You can cook Red Wine Braised Beef using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Red Wine Braised Beef
- You need 3 lb of Boneless beef blade roast.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- It’s 3 of shallots.
- You need 2 tsp of Juniper berries, crushed.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cracked black pepper.
- You need 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- You need 2 tbsp of AP flour.
- You need 2 cup of Dry Red Wine.
- You need 2 cup of veal or beef stock.
- You need 1 tbsp of ketchup.
- You need 4 large of carrots, diced.
- It’s 1/4 lb of pancetta, diced.
- You need 1 tbsp of honey.
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper, to taste.
Red Wine Braised Beef step by step
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F)..
- In a large ovenproof skillet, brown meat in half the oil. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. Set meat on a plate. In the same skillet, soften shallots with spices in remaining oil (30 ml/2 tablespoons). Sprinkle with flour and mix well. Deglaze with wine. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly..
- Return meat to the skillet. Add half the veal stock and ketchup. Bring to a boil. Cover and roast in the oven for 3 hours. Turn meat over three or four times during cooking and baste with remaining veal stock..
- Add carrots and pancetta around roast. Continue cooking, always covered, for about 1 hour or until meat is fork tender and vegetables are cooked..
- To give a nice crust to braised meat, move the rack to the highest position of the oven. Set the oven to broil. Drain meat and place on a baking sheet. Keep sauce and toppings warm. Brush top of the roast with honey. Broil for about 3 minutes or until surface starts to brown..
- Serve meat with toppings and drizzle with sauce. Serve with barley..
- For perfectly braised meat, don’t completely submerge meat in liquid. Instead, add liquid halfway up meat for a tastier and more concentrated sauce..