Filo pastry apple strudel (can be vegan too).
You can have Filo pastry apple strudel (can be vegan too) using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Filo pastry apple strudel (can be vegan too)
- It’s 3 of cooking apples.
- It’s 1.5-2 cups of brown sugar.
- It’s 1 handful of pine nuts.
- You need 1 cup of raisin.
- You need 1/2 of lemon juice.
- Prepare 3/4 tablespoon of butter (melted) – you can make it vegan by using oil instead.
- Prepare of Optional 1 cup almonds or nuts.
Filo pastry apple strudel (can be vegan too) step by step
- Turn on the oven on 200. Put the raisin to soften in hot water. Peal the apples and cut them in little chunks.
- Add the pine nuts and sugar to the apples and stir well. Drain the raisin and add them too.
- In my filo pastry box there were 7 sheets although the number varies based on brands. I recommend to keep each strudel to no more than 4 sheets, so in this case I made one with 4 and one with 3 sheets. Layer one sheet on flat surface and with a brush coat the sheet lightly with butter. It doesn’t need to be soaking it just helps in making it crispy and tasty. Add another sheet and add the butter again.
- When you have you 3 or 4 sheets add half of the apple mix into the middle of the pastry. Close the shorter edges first and then the longer sides. I purposely don’t close the sheet as the apples can create too much water whilst cooking sometimes..
- Repeat the same process with the second stride starting by alternating the pastry sheets and then adding the apple mix. When both are done use the remaining butter and brush it on top of both strudels to make it golden but also to help keeping the edges together..
- Put the strudels in the oven and cook for 30 minutes at 180 degrees and another 15 min at 140 degrees. Serve hot with a sprinkle of icing sugar and with vanilla ice cream 😋.