Chocolate babka. Baking a chocolate babka is no casual undertaking. The Eastern European yeast-risen coffee cake Also note that you can make this over a few days instead of all at once. This best-ever chocolate babka recipe from Melissa Weller at Sadelle's in New York City gets great flavor from chocolate cookie crumbs in the swirl.
I am so excited to be bringing you this recipe today! Chocolate Babka is made of a rich brioche dough and a chocolate filling. This babka recipe always feels homey, warm, and comforting. You can cook Chocolate babka using 11 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chocolate babka
- It’s 2 3/4 cups of flour.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of powdered milk.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of active yeast.
- You need 3 of eggs.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of warm milk.
- You need 8 tablespoons of butter.
- It’s of Chocolate filling.
- It’s 1/2 cup of butter.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of cocoa powder (Milo can be used if cocoa isn't available).
- You need 3 tablespoons of brown sugar.
It's super delicious and an all-time favorite in our home! recipes. The secret to babka's mesmerizing chocolate swirl? A double helix twist (don't worry, it's way easier than science class). Edan Leshnick of Breads Bakery in NYC makes decadent chocolate babka in the Munchies Test Kitchen.
Chocolate babka instructions
- Mix all ingredients for 5 minutes in a standing mixer. Or mix using a spoon/hand until a soft non sticky dough is formed. Knead on a floured surface..
- Mix the filling ingredients in a medium bowl and keep aside..
- Roll dough into a disk & divide into 8..
- Roll each one into a rectangle. Spread filling (Nutella, melted chocolate can be used instead of homemade filling).
- Roll from the longer side as shown below.
- Using a kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, make an incision along the length of the rolled dough.
- Twist the dough, then make it into a round shape and tuck the ends under.
- Allow to rise. Break an egg, use a kitchen brush and brush it lightly over the dough (eggwash).
- Bake for about 15 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. (Cover with foil paper to avoid burning of top when you see that the bottom isn't done yet).
- Let them sit for about 20-30 minutes after taking them out of the oven before removing from baking sheets to prevent breaking..
- Ta da! 😋.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar if you want to..
Edan starts with the dough, made with whole milk, eggs. This delicious Babka is packed with dark chocolate and drenched in a tasty honey syrup. The first babka I made tasted incredible. I could not keep myself from snatching bits and pieces of it. This Chocolate Babka recipe was developed after months of careful research.