Red lentil dal (vegan if you sub the ghee 😁). Transform your red lentils into something amazing with my creamy Instant Pot Lentil Dal. It makes a really easy, super tasty, healthy & budget But, if you don't have an Instant Pot or other other electric pressure cooker, and you really want to make this recipe, hop on over to my original Red Lentil Dahl. This spicy lentil dahl recipe is a dairy-free vegan soup that is spicy, hearty, and delicious but also easy and inexpensive to make.
But if you do wander into an Indian grocery store, you'll be delighted — and probably a little confused — to come across different versions of masoor, including Lentil Dal Oil-free options. A warming delicious Dal for any day. Chana Dal, Toor Dal, Urad Dal, Dal If you haven't noticed yet, we love Indian brown lentils over here. You can cook Red lentil dal (vegan if you sub the ghee 😁) using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Red lentil dal (vegan if you sub the ghee 😁)
- Prepare 1/2 cup of (full not just to the ‘fill’ line) red lentils (about 125g).
- Prepare 400 ml of / 1 1/2 cups water.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground turmeric.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of chilli powder or chilli flakes.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 2 of medium-sized tomatoes, chopped.
- You need 1 of onion, peeled and chopped.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of ghee or oil.
- It’s of Salt and pepper.
- It’s of To garnish: some chopped spring onion and/ or coriander.
Dals can be made in several ways with the Red and yellow lentils spiced with Indian spices and tempering. The BEST Red Lentil Dahl (dhal, dal, daal)! Scroll down for the full recipe, plus how to make it in the Instant Pot or Slow Cooker. This daal is really easy to make.
Red lentil dal (vegan if you sub the ghee 😁) step by step
- Put the red lentils, water, turmeric, cumin and chilli in a saucepan (with a lid for later). Bring to the boil. Then turn down to a simmer, cover and simmer gently for about 20 mins. Stir it regularly so the lentils don’t stick. Add more water if needed..
- When the lentils are ready – or about 5 mins before, add the tomatoes to the pan and stir through. Take the lentils off the heat when ready. (You can also add spinach at this point- stirring it through so it wilts.).
- Heat the ghee or oil in a pan on a low- medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring regularly until soft..
- When the onion/ garlic are soft, stir them (and any ghee in the pan) into the lentils..
- Season. Serve and garnish with spring onions and coriander. Enjoy 😋.
If you can spare a bit more time, then I'd suggest you slowly cook the onions. Masoor tadka dal is a delicious Indian lentil curry made with red lentils. It's easy to make, flavorful, and healthy. Dal (also spelled dhal or daal) is one of the most versatile, healthy, filling, and delicious meals. Dal translates to lentil, but when referred to in the context of food.