Veal Piccata. This veal piccata recipe, made with cutlets and butter and parsley, is a classic Italian dish. Very thin cutlets, called scaloppine, are essential to dishes such as veal piccata. Veal piccata is such a simple dish, which might be why it's such a classic comfort food—because where's the comfort in toiling away in the kitchen all night?
Add the wine and capers and reduce by half. Easy recipe for classic Veal Piccata. Lightly coated thin veal cutlets sauteed and cooked with capers, wine, butter and lemon sauce. You can cook Veal Piccata using 13 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Veal Piccata
- It’s 4 of veal scallops (pounded to thickness of 1/8 inch).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 5 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 cup of white wine.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of chicken stock.
- It’s 1 clove of garlic (chopped).
- You need 1 of lemon (juiced).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of capers (drained).
- You need 1 tbsp of parsley leaves (chopped).
Veal Piccata is another classic Italian recipe. Veal piccata is a simple, Italian dish that can be found in most of your favorite Italian restaurants. Place veal slices between sheets of plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness. Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour.
Veal Piccata step by step
- In a shallow bowl or plate combine the flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder and stir to combine thoroughly. Quickly dredge the veal scallops in the seasoned flour mixture, shaking to remove any excess flour.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter and, working quickly and in batches if necessary, cook the veal until golden brown on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside..
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to pan and cook garlic, shallots, and capers for about a minute. Deglaze the pan with wine and bring to a boil, scraping to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. When the wine has reduced by half, add the chicken stock and lemon juice and cook for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly..
- Whisk in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, remaining 3 1/2 tablespoons of butter and the chopped parsley. When the butter has melted, return the veal scallops to the pan and cook until heated through and the sauce has thickened, about 1 minute. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve immediately..
Combine the melted butter and olive oil in a large Transfer the veal to a serving platter. Chef John of Michael's of Brooklyn, shows you how to make a great Veal Piccata Dish. For more information about Michaels of Brooklyn visit the website. Veal piccata is a classic staple of Italian food. Capers, parsley, lemon juice, and white wine form the foundations of the sauce for this recipe.