Smoked Apple Butter.
You can cook Smoked Apple Butter using 3 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Smoked Apple Butter
- Prepare 2 lb of baking apples.
- You need 4 cups of granulated sugar.
- Prepare of Zest of 1 lemon.
Smoked Apple Butter instructions
- Core the apples but don't peel them.
- Place them in a smoker with hickory chips.
- Smoke for 2 hours or until soft and brown.
- Place apples in food processor and purée. You want as much pectin from the skin as possible..
- Bring to a boil and simmer with lemon zest and sugar in a large heavy skillet until it clarifies. Stir it regularly. It can take up to 2 hours to set up, keep the temperature as low as possible and make sure not to burn the mix, don't try to rush it..
- For variation, add harvest seasonings like cinnamon, pumpkin spice, or for a really special version, add 1/4c of good bourbon..
- Drip into a COLD plate to see if it will run. If it will gel its ready to let set..
- Pour into jars and refrigerate for up to 6 weeks, or can for longer..