Smoked whole chicken and turkey legs.
You can cook Smoked whole chicken and turkey legs using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Smoked whole chicken and turkey legs
- You need 2 of whole chickens 3-5 lbs each.
- It’s 1 package of turkey legs.
- It’s 1 of orange.
- It’s 1 of lemon.
- It’s 2 sprigs of rosemary.
- It’s 4 sprigs of tarragon.
- Prepare 5 cups of sugar.
- Prepare 3 1/4 cups of kosher salt.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of chili powder.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of onion powder.
- You need 1/4 cup of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- You need 6 of dried bay leaves.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of chopped dehydrated onion.
- Prepare 3 gallons of water.
Smoked whole chicken and turkey legs step by step
- Combine 3 cups of kosher salt, 4.5 cups sugar, 6 bay leaves, 1 tbsp chopped dehydrated onions and 3 gallons water to make the brine. Soak the chickens and turkey legs in the brine and refrigerate over night or minimum 4 hours..
- Make the rub. I used Myron Mixon's 'The only other barbecue rub you need' recipe. Combine 2/3 cup chili powder, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup onion powder, 1/4 garlic powder and 1 tsp cayenne pepper.
- Soak your choice of wood chunks in water (I used mesquite). Light the charcoal in the smoker. Slice up the orange and lemon into approximately 12 pieces each..
- Rinse the chicken and turkey in cold water and pat dry..
- Stuff each chicken with half an orange, half a lemon, 1 sprig rosemary and 2 sprigs of tarragon..
- Cover the chickens and turkey legs on all sides with the rub..
- Put the chicken breast side up and the turkey legs on the smoker. Smoke at 275° for 3.5 hours or until the white meat hits 160 and the dark reaches 180. Check the temp periodically and add more charcoal and wood chunks as needed..