Zhaoan Smoked Chicken.
You can have Zhaoan Smoked Chicken using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Zhaoan Smoked Chicken
- Prepare 1 of small to medium size chicken, cleaned.
- You need 1 piece of ginger.
- Prepare 1-2 tablespoons of dark soya sauce.
- It’s 2-3 tablespoons of castor sugar.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of white pepper.
- Prepare 1 piece of aluminium foil.
- Prepare 1 of thick and big wok adequate to put entire chicken.
- Prepare 1 of grill pan.
Zhaoan Smoked Chicken step by step
- Prepare a pot of water with a pice of ginger for boiling chicken. When the water is boiling, submerge the whole chicken into the water with its back facing up. Because it takes long time to cook chicken breast. Using this way to ensure that the breast is fully cooked. Lower heat and simmer for about 20-30 minutes..
- Once the chicken is done, transfer out and cool at room temperature. Meanwhile, mix all marinating agents (dark soya sauce, half of the sugar and white pepper). Brush the marinating agent over the entire chicken and let it marinate for at least half an hour..
- Put a piece of aluminum foil into the wok, then add the left sugar on the high heat until the sugar starts to melt and caramelize. Once the sugar starts to caramelize and smoke starts to come out, reduce the heat to low. Put a grill pan on top of the aluminium plate to hold the chicken and place the marinated chicken on top. Close the lid and let it smoke for about 20-30 minutes (at 15 minutes interval, you can check if the smell is too strong for your liking)..
- Once the chicken is done, off the heat and let it rest in the pot or wok for another 15 minutes to continue the smoking process. Open the lid and transfer out for cooling. Throw away aluminium plate that were full of burnt sugar..
- Best served with boiled vegetables or salad..