Toasted coconut cake w/ walnuts & cranberries. While this toasted coconut cake recipe is perfect for the holidays, thanks to the addition of cranberries, there's really no wrong time to bake and serve This cake is my very favorite cake, so, I treat myself to it at Christmas time! Thank you so much for sharing all the deliciousness this cake brings to the table. Coconut cake is an Easter and holiday favorite, but delicious any time.
A toasted walnut cake filling turns any layer cake into something truly special, and toasting the walnuts for a Kentucky Derby chocolate walnut pie makes a decadent dessert even more irresistible. I've been wanting to make a coconut cake for a loooong time and figured adding toasted almonds to it would make it a million times better. The thing that takes this cake from good to great is toasting the coconut flakes and slivered almonds. You can have Toasted coconut cake w/ walnuts & cranberries using 20 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Toasted coconut cake w/ walnuts & cranberries
- You need of Cake.
- You need 2 cup of Cranberry juice.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of Dried cranberries.
- You need 2 2/3 cup of All purpose flour.
- It’s 2 1/4 of Baking powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Baking soda.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 3/4 cup of Unsalted butter, softened.
- You need 1 1/3 cup of Sugar.
- Prepare 6 of Egg whites.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of Vanilla.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Coconut extract.
- You need 3/4 cup of Buttermilk.
- It’s of Frosting.
- You need 1 tsp of Coconut extract.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of Unsalted butter, softened.
- Prepare 2 lb of Powered sugar.
- You need 1/3 cup of Unsweetened coconut milk.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of Flaked coconut, toasted.
- You need 1 cup of Walnuts, chopped & toasted.
Toasting anything always seems to bring out the. For the toasted coconut: Meanwhile, toast the shredded coconut in a small dry skillet, stirring constantly for several minutes until it browns. When the coconut is just starting to become browned, remove from the heat and continue stirring, taking care as it burns quite easily. Toasted Coconut Poke Cake is a great make-ahead dessert for serving a crowd!
Toasted coconut cake w/ walnuts & cranberries step by step
- preheat oven to 350 fahrenheit. grease and flour 3 9-inch round cake pans..
- In medium saucepan bring cranberry juice to boil. Add dried cranberries and return to boiling. reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute remove from heat. let stand while preparing cake then drain..
- in medium bowl combine flour ,baking powder ,baking soda and salt. in large bowl combine 3/4 cup butter and granulated sugar. beat with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in egg whites, vanilla, 1/2 tsp coconut extract. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk until combined. Divide evenly among cake pans..
- bake cake layers on 2 racks in center of the oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of each layer comes out clean. Cool completely..
- for frosting in a large bowl beat 3/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium until smooth. Gradually add 2 cups of the powered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in coconut milk, and extract, add remaining powder sugar until fluffy..
- Place layer on cake plate. Spread frosting. Sprinkle with cranberries. Place second layer on top of filling, spread more frosting, top with walnuts, and coconut. Top with last cake layer, spread remaining frosting. Top with remaining coconut and walnuts..
As a kid you couldn't get me to eat coconut. Now that I'm older and wiser 🙂 I just love coconut. I like adding it to cookies and to cakes. I think it gives baked goods such a great flavor and texture. Did you scroll all this way to get facts about toasted coconut cake?