French Toast Bake. This was my first try at a baked French toast, and it was YUMMY! As with most recipes, I scaled it down for my small family. I halved the recipe, added an extra egg and a little extra splash of milk, used whole grain bread (crusts on, cut into large cubes), and tossed the bread in the egg-milk mixture, rather than pouring it over.
French toast is a favorite comfort food for both lazy Saturday mornings and celebratory brunches. But before you pull out your skillet, try taking a casserole approach to French toast. If you're like most of us, you cherish sleeping in on Saturdays and waking up just in time to roll out of bed and do nothing. You can have French Toast Bake using 8 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of French Toast Bake
- You need 1 loaf of bread (challah, brioche or French all work good).
- Prepare 8 of large eggs.
- Prepare 2 cups of whole milk.
- You need 1/2 cup of half and half.
- It’s 1/2 cup of each brown sugar, granulated sugar.
- You need 1 tsp. of each vanilla extract, ground cinnamon.
- Prepare of Confectioners sugar, optional for serving.
- Prepare of Maple syrup, optional for serving.
This super delicious overnight French Toast Bake recipe takes French toast to a whole new level! Pieces of sourdough bread covered in an egg mixture, topped with cinnamon sugar, and baked to perfection! This easy French toast casserole is the ultimate holiday or weekend breakfast!! For the French toast: Grease the baking pan with butter.
French Toast Bake step by step
- Grease a 9×13" baking pan. Tear the loaf of bread into small chunks and scatter them into the pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, half & half, sugars, vanilla and cinnamon until well combined. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the bread chunks. Then cover it and place it in the fridge overnight..
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350°F. Let the pan sit out at room temperature while the oven heats up. Bake it covered for 30 minutes, then remove the covering and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, until the center is set and cooked through. If you'd like, you can dust some powered sugar over it before slicing it into squares and serving..
- If you have leftovers, they will reheat really well. Just bake how much you want to reheat at 350°F for 10 or so minutes..
Tear the bread into chunks, or cut into cubes, and evenly distribute in the pan. Crack the eggs in a big bowl. Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt.