Greek Baklava. "A Greek favorite that makes everyone think you are a master chef and is sooo easy to make!! Make sauce while baklava is baking. This Greek Baklava recipe has walnuts and cinnamon layered between flaky phyllo dough with a Greek Baklava Recipe.
Easy baklava recipe made with layers of honey-soaked crispy phyllo pastry and a delicious nut mixture. Baklava is the perfect make-ahead dessert because it's even better the next day! This heavenly Baklava combines honey-soaked layers of flaky phyllo pastry with spiced walnuts. You can cook Greek Baklava using 14 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Greek Baklava
- You need of For the Baklava.
- It’s 2 (16 oz) of packages phyllo dough.
- It’s 4 cups of pecans milled or finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 of and a 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 sticks of melted unsalted butter, clarified.
- You need 1 bottle of whole cloves.
- Prepare of Pastry brush.
- You need 1 of 9×13 pan.
- You need of For the syrup.
- It’s 2 cups of water.
- You need 2 cup of sugar.
- You need 1 cup of honey (I use wildflower honey).
- Prepare 1 of lemon cut in half, only use half.
- It’s 1 of cinnamon stick.
It's a great make-ahead dessert perfect for the holidays or special occasions. Baklava or baklawa is a rich, sweet pastry featured in many cuisines of the former Ottoman countries. It is made of layers of phyllo dough filled with chopped nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, or pistachios, and sweetened with syrup or honey. Keep unused sheets covered with plastic wrap while assembling baklava to prevent drying.
Greek Baklava step by step
- Make the syrup: Take a saucepan and add the water, sugar, honey and cinnamon stick. Squeeze the juice from the lemon half and drop the whole lemon half in the pan.
- Bring to a boil and stir until sugar and honey dissolves then down to medium heat for about 5 minutes, take off heat and cool to room temperature then take out the lemon half and cinnamon stick.
- Make the Baklava: Mix pecans with the ground cinnamon, melt the butter, clarify it and butter the pan.
- Place one sheet in the pan and brush butter all over it, repeat until you do 10 sheets on top of one another layering each with butter.
- Place about a 1/4 of the nut mixture on top of the 10 buttered sheets.
- It goes like this: 10 buttered sheets 1/4 nut mixture. 5 buttered sheets. 1/4 nut mixture. 5 buttered sheets 1/4 nut mixture. 5 buttered sheets. 1/4 nut mixture. 15 buttered sheets on top.
- Butter the very top, even pour the rest of your butter and carefully cut baklava lengthwise 4 rows then cut diagonally for diamonds.
- Place a whole clove in each diamond shape and bake at 300 degrees for one and a half hours depending on your oven. Make sure it is golden and flaky on top.
- When baklava is done take out the oven and spoon or ladle the cool syrup all over the baklava concentrating in the cuts. Remember cool syrup, hot baklava.
- Let it sit for at least 8 hours to overnight to soak up all the sweet syrup (I know it's hard to resist) 😇.
- It can be stored at room temperature for a week, longer in the fridge ENJOY !! 😋❤️😋.
This Greek baklava, a Middle-Eastern dessert, is made from layers of phyllo or filo pastry which is filled with chopped walnuts, cinnamon, sugar, and butter and soaked in a honey syrup. In this easy to follow vid you'll learn how to make baklava from start to finish. This is an easy Greek baklava recipe with only a few simple steps that. Baklava or baclava (μπακλαβα in Greek and bâqlavâ in Persian) is a traditional dessert common to all the peoples of the former Byzantine Empire, Persia and the former Ottoman Empire. Authentic Greek Food Recipes, Greek Desserts Recipes.