Savory plantain buns. Savory Fried Plantains are a delicious and easy, must-make recipe to serve alongside our Filipino Picadillo that we shared with you earlier this week. In the Philippines, fried plantains are a commonly. Here in South Florida we have a huge Latin American influence and SFL wouldn't be the same without Plantains.
How to make plantain bread (Plantain Cake)? You will need the following ingredients. Lourdes Castro teaches students how to fry plantains for perfect tostones. You can cook Savory plantain buns using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Savory plantain buns
- Prepare 3 of overripe plantains.
- Prepare 3 of pepper (or to taste).
- It’s 1 of medium sized spring onion.
- Prepare of Salt (to tatse).
- Prepare 2 cups of flour.
- It’s 1 of egg.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1/2 cup of water or milk.
Cut peeled plantains into one-inch pieces. Fry them in a skillet in the vegetable oil over moderately high heat for five minutes. Savory and starchy when green, and sweet and creamy when ripe, tropical plantains make more than just chips. Here are just a few of the many ways plantains are enjoyed around the world.
Savory plantain buns step by step
- Blend the ripe plantains together with the milk, half the spring onion and pepper.
- Pour out the blended ingredients in a bowl and add salt, baking powder, rest of the onions and flour. Mix well.
- Drop into heated oil in small molds and fry till golden brown.
- Enjoy your savory snacks with coffee or any other beverage of your choice.
We can't get good bananas here for frying like our goreng pisang back home. I tried using the regular Dole kind but they were not good for frying. This is a lunch or dinner version of our breakfast plantain pancake. It's quick, delicious and a healthy way to make use of overripe plantains. Savory plantain soup is a delicious African recipe usually served as a appetizer.