Smoked Leg of Lamb. A smoked leg of lamb is a delicacy that is both enjoyable and easy to prepare. Pick a nice day to spend outside and have a beer or two at the ready. So many options for smoked leg of lamb!
What's best is that you can tweak the Greek flavours and put your own favourite herb rub on the lamb! To keep the lamb from drying out during the cooking process, I made up a simple baste. How many minutes per pound does lamb get smoked for? You can have Smoked Leg of Lamb using 23 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Smoked Leg of Lamb
- It’s 4 lb of boneless leg of lamb.
- Prepare 1 of small onion, peeled.
- It’s 5 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 4 of anchovy fillets in oil.
- It’s 2 of Bou beef bouillon cubes.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of red pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- You need 3 sprigs of thyme.
- It’s 2 sprigs of rosemary.
- You need 2 qts of frying oil.
- You need 1 bunch of parsley, leaves picked.
- Prepare 1 bunch of mint, leaves picked.
- You need 2 springs of rosemary, leaves picked.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of mustard seed.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of caraway seed.
- You need 500 ml of balsamic vinegar.
- It’s 1 of Bou beef bouillon cube.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Dijon mustard.
- It’s 3 tsp of unflavored gelatin (1 package).
- It’s 1 lb of new potatoes.
- You need 2 bunches of broccolini.
No matter your mindset, smoked leg of lamb is a recipe you may really enjoy, even if you never really cared for its taste before. Low and slow smoked leg of lamb is an easy barbecue dish pulling from old roots and knocking the flavor out of this world! Set up a taco bar and have Please read my disclosure policy. Slowly smoked leg of lamb is a true delight.
Smoked Leg of Lamb step by step
- Prepare the lamb paste by combining the onion, garlic, 2 Bou beef cubes, anchovies, rosemary, thyme, salt, black and red pepper, and cumin in a food processor or chop together on a board. Use extra anchovy oil (or olive) as necessary to form a paste..
- Open the leg of lamb, and flatten out any lumps by scoring with a knife. Rub 3/4 of the paste on the exposed leg..
- Roll the leg back up, and truss with butcher's twine. Rub the remaining 1/4 of the paste on the outside..
- Prepare your smoker (or oven) to 275 °F. Cook the lamb until 130°F in the center. About 3-3.5 hours..
- Meanwhile, prepare the herbs and spices..
- Heat 2 qts of oil for frying to 300°F. Fry the parsley, mint, and rosemary for 60 seconds..
- Increase the oil temp to 325°F and fry the spices for 3-4 minutes. I use a fine mesh strainer to keep the seeds together..
- Place the fried herbs and spices on a tray lined with paper towels to cool. They will remain crispy after they cool down. You can even store the extra in a Ziploc for several days and they will remain crispy..
- Pour the bottle of balsamic into a small pot. Add the other beef bouillon cube, gelatin, and the mustard. Bring to a boil and reduce by half until the reduction clings to the back of a wooden spoon..
- I like to pour the reduction into a squirt bottle and keep it for other dishes. Just reheat in the microwave first..
- Place the potatoes in a small pot, cover with water and add 3 Tbsp of salt to the water. Bring to a boil and boil 15 minutes..
- On a sheet pan, prepare the broccolini. Lay the boiled potatoes out, and lightly smash with the bottom of a glass. Drizzle everything with olive oil and season with salt and pepper..
- When the lamb is almost done, prepare a bed of coals in a grill. Alternatively, when the lamb finishes cooking, remove from oven and heat the oven to 500°F.
- Sear the lamb, potatoes, and broccolini for 4-6 minutes..
- Remove and plate on a platter if desired. Sprinkle the fried herbs and spices on top for a table show piece..
- Plate with a slice of lamb, the potatoes, and broccolini, and drizzle with the balsamic reduction..
This lamb barbacoa pulls from old-school traditions and flavors to create. This Easter, try out this wonderful smoked leg of lamb recipe stuffed with cream cheese, jalapenos and bacon. Your family and guests will rave with delight! Easter is upon us and this year we are doing smoked leg of lamb with a really nice twist. Juicy and perfectly pink, this smoked lamb leg takes an overnight marinade before being immersed in a smoke bath.