Vegan Haggis. Add the garlic, grated carrot, chopped mushrooms and sunflower seeds. Season with salt and black pepper then add the other spices. This vegetable haggis from Graham Campbell has all the herbs, spices and binding oats of a conventional haggis, but as it's meat-free, it's particularly suitable for vegetarians and those put off by the thought of eating offal.
This is not the same but still very good. I had to add an additional cup of vegetable broth before adding the egg as it was too dry. I also added an additional egg which helped it stick together. You can cook Vegan Haggis using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegan Haggis
- You need 75 grams of finely chopped mushrooms.
- You need 75 grams of brown lentils soaked for 2-3 hours.
- You need 50 grams of oatmeal soaked for 1 hour.
- It’s 50 grams of kidney beans soaked and cooked.
- It’s 25 grams of coconut oil.
- It’s 150 grams of grated carrot.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped.
- It’s 150 grams of onions peeled and finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of rapeseed oil.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 1 tsp of garam masala.
- You need of Sea salt & black pepper.
The haggis is Scotland's most famous contribution to the culinary arts. Vegetarians who know what it contains would leave the country rather than risk eating it. But some years ago I developed this recipe for vegetarian haggis (or rather, vegan haggis) which I have served many times since. Enjoyed by vegetarians, vegans and meat-eaters alike, our Delicious Every Day vegetarian haggis is a mix of healthy fresh vegetables, pulses, oatmeal, seeds and spices.
Vegan Haggis instructions
- Cook the soaked lentils until tender..
- Sauté onion and garlic with the oil until soft. Add the garam masala and soy sauce to season..
- Add the brown lentils and carrots to the seasoned onion and garlic until the carrots are softened..
- Add the mushrooms and allow to soften. Pour in the cooked kidney beans..
- Add the drained oatmeal to the mixture to give body to the haggis..
- Combine everything well into an even mixture and cook through for 15 minutes..
- Serve with clapshot. (mashed potato and turnip in the original recipe. Mashed potato and parsnip is used in this version.).
Convenient to cook with for a variety of recipes. Here at Macsween we always use approved, sustainable, high quality ingredients in all of our products. This is from Venturesome Vegetarian Cooking. It turned out very well, just like meatloaf but better. I made this with red wine since I didn't have any Scotch on hand.