You can cook Osso Buco using 20 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Osso Buco
- Prepare 900 of g-1kg osso buco.
- Prepare 2-3 tbs of dijon mustard.
- It’s Pinch of salt & pepper.
- You need 1-2 tbs of Butter.
- Prepare 1 cup of plain flour.
- You need 2 sticks of celery (diced).
- Prepare 1 of carrot (diced).
- It’s 1-2 of shallots (diced).
- You need 1-2 of bulb garlic (minced).
- You need 1-1.5 cup of red wine.
- It’s 4-5 of beef stock cubes (disolved in 2 cups water).
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried rosemary.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- Prepare 1 tbs of tomato paste.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cumin powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds.
- You need 1/2 can of diced or peeled tomatoes.
- Prepare 3 of potatoes (quartered).
Osso Buco instructions
- Dry the meat with paper towel then rub in salt & pepper. Coat the pieces in dijon mustard (not too thick) and then cover in flour..
- Heat butter in a pot (make sure its soup pot size) on medium to high heat – make sure it doesn't burn. Add in the pieces of osso buco and cook until all sides are browned. Don't over crowd the pot, do this in batches. Remove these pieces and place on plate..
- In the same pot, add a little bit more butter and then add the diced carrots, shallots and celery. Cook these until soft and then add the garlic..
- Add the dried herbs (or fresh) and spices, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, stock and red wine (be sure to taste the wine first)..
- Once thats all mixed in you can add your osso buco back into the pot and bring to a simmer – simmer for 5-10mins. If theres not enough liquid add more water. You need to make sure your liquid covers all the meat. Whilst thats simmering get a large tray out and pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees..
- Pour everything into a oven safe tray (make sure its deep enough to fit everything). Add in the potatoes and cover it with foil and put in the oven for 2 1/2 – 3 hours until meat is soft and tender. Serve with mash taters.