You can cook Osso Buco using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Osso Buco
- Prepare 1 of salt.
- You need 3 lb of veal shank.
- It’s 1 of ground black pepper.
- It’s 3 tbsp of olive oil, extra virgin.
- You need 1 stick of carrot.
- You need 1 stick of celery.
- Prepare 1 small of chopped onion.
- You need 1 of sprig fresh thyme.
- You need 1 of sprig fresh rosemary.
- You need 1 clove of garlic.
- It’s 1 bunch of Italian parsley.
- Prepare 1 cup of dry white wine.
- It’s 1 can of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 can of chicken broth.
Osso Buco step by step
- Using kitchen twine, tie around each shank to keep tight against bone while cooking, and season with salt and pepper..
- Heat oil in pot, until hot. Carefully add shanks (pat them dry to lessen chance of hot oil spitting) and sear on both sides until brown..
- Remove from pan and reserve..
- Sautee carrots, celery, onion and parsley in same pot, adding more oil, if necessary. Cool until onions are translucent and fragrant..
- Add tomato paste and mix well, heating thoroughly..
- Add wine and broth, stirring to ensure that the tomato paste dissolves completely..
- Tie thyme, rosemary, and garlic in cheesecloth and add to broth. Bring broth to a boil..
- Reduce to a simmer and place shanks, with juices, in broth. Cover and simmer for at least an hour and a half to two hours, or until meat is tender..
- Continue to add more broth throughout cooking to ensure shanks are covered 3/4 of the way. Continue testing to ensure good flavor of broth. Add additional seasoning when necessary..
- When done, remove from pot and serve with broth. Garnish with orange zest and parsley..