You can cook Kerala Aviyal using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Kerala Aviyal
- You need 1 of Raw Plantain (Raw banana).
- It’s 200 gms of Elephant foot yam.
- You need 150 gms of Ash gourd.
- You need 1 of Drumstick.
- Prepare 4 of French Beans (Green beans).
- It’s 100 gms of Snake gourd.
- It’s 1 of Carrot (small).
- You need 4 of green chillies.
- It’s 1 pinch of Turmeric powder.
- Prepare 1 Cup of grated coconut.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- It’s 2 sprigs of Curry leaves.
- Prepare 5 of Shallot.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Coconut oil.
- It’s 1 1/2 Cup of Water.
- You need to taste of salt.
Kerala Aviyal step by step
- Wash the vegetables very well. Peel and cut it into 2 inches (length wise) pieces. Slice green chillies (length wise)..
- Cook the vegetables in a covered vessel by adding green chillies, water, salt and turmeric powder on a low flame till it tender and dry (be careful not to overcook it and also take care to prevent it from burning)..
- Crush the shallots and mix it with coconut oil. Grind grated coconut and cumin seeds by adding little water into a coarsely paste.
- Add the ground paste into the cooked vegetables along with curry leaves and combine it well. Heat it in a low flame for 3 minutes..
- Remove from the heat once cooking done, add coconut oil – shallots mix and combine it..
- Serve Avial (Aviyal) as an accompaniment to rice..
- TIPS : As each vegetable has a different level of cooking, it will be better to add vegetables according to the cooking time of each item. That means the longer cooking items first and quicker items last..