Lemon Pound Cake. This lemon cake is basically a regular pound cake recipe with a few additions to increase the flavor and soften the crumb. For this recipe, I added an extra egg yolk and sour cream, and replaced the all-purpose flour with bread flour to give more structure to the loaf and get a better rise. This lemon pound cake is the ultimate dessert for lemon lovers.
Tart, sweet, moist and filled with lemon flavor, you will adore this Lemon Cake Recipe with a secret ingredient for years to come! Use a toothpick to make holes in top of cake and drizzle lemon juice and sugar mixture over the top of the cake when removed from the oven. I brush the glaze on the warm cake and once it has cooled down, drizzle the lemon cream cheese frosting over the cake. You can cook Lemon Pound Cake using 9 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lemon Pound Cake
- It’s 3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 2 1/2 sticks (10 ounces) of salted butter, at room temperature.
- You need 2 cups of sugar.
- Prepare 4 of large eggs, at room temperature.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of finely grated lemon zest.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- You need 1 cup of whole milk.
It comes to us from contributor Annettia Mounger of Missouri. It's so loved because this lemon pound cake packs a ton of lemon flavor thanks to lemon zest, lemon juice and a touch of lemon extract. When we say it's a lemon lovers cake, we mean it! What Makes This Lemon Pound Cake Moist?
Lemon Pound Cake step by step
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9 x 13” metal baking pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper, Grease the paper, and flour the pan..
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt..
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Script on the side of the bowl as needed..
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed..
- Be in the lemon zest and vanilla..
- On the speed, alternate adding the flour mixture in the milk mixture to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture..
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and spread it evenly. Tap the bottom of the pan on the worksurface to get rid of any air bubbles..
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 15 minutes..
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. If necessary, loosen the cake from the sides of the pan with a small knife. Carefully flip the cake upside down onto the wire rack, peel off the parchment paper, and then turn the cake right side up onto the rack to cool completely..
This traditional pound cake gets its soft, dense texture and moist crumb from a combo of butter, sour cream, and half a dozen (yep — a whole six of 'em) eggs. I decided to slightly decrease the sugar in the original recipe. Made with lemon juice, lemon zest, and topped with a lemon buttermilk glaze, this lemon pound cake recipe is scrumptious! A sweet and slightly tart flavor greets your tastebuds first as you take a bite. That's immediately followed by the delicious taste of fresh lemon in the soft.