Sarkara upperi/Jaggery Coated Banana Chips. Shows how to make Sarkara Varatti/Sarkara Upperi. Sharkkara varatty is a must ingredient for Kerala sadhyas or Onam/Vishu Sadya. Yet another unique preparation with bananas is the 'Sarkara Varatti'.
This is a traditional dish prepared throughout Kerala during the Onam It is prepared using Nendran variety banana, jaggery, jeera powder and dry ginger powder, however, you can use regular raw banana also. The chips may be coated with masala or jaggery to form spicy and sweet variations. Plain banana and plantain chips are called pachkkaya varuthathu and kaya upperi, respectively; sweet jaggery-banana chips are called sharkara upperi. You can have Sarkara upperi/Jaggery Coated Banana Chips using 7 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sarkara upperi/Jaggery Coated Banana Chips
- You need 2 of Raw plantain.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of Turmeric powder.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Jaggery.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Dried ginger powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of Cardamom powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Cumin seed powder.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Sugar powdered.
It is an integral part of the traditional Kerala meal called sadya. Sharkara Upperi is one of my recent tries. This sarakara varatti / upperi is usually served in Onam Sadya. Sarkara Varatti or Sarkara upperi or Jaggery Coated Banana Chips – Buy Online.
Sarkara upperi/Jaggery Coated Banana Chips step by step
- Peel the outer skin of the banana and immerse them in the turmeric water for 10 minutes..
- Pat dry the bananas and slice into slightly thicker pieces..
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat..
- Reduce the flame to medium-low and slide the sliced bananas into hot oil without overcrowding them and occasionally give stir to flip them until the banana pieces become golden yellow/crisp..
- When the chips make a crispy sound when stirring, remove it from the oil and let it cool down completely..
- Heat jaggery in a thick bottomed pan with water until it reaches a thick consistency..
- Add fried banana chips and coat jaggery mixture very well with each pieces..
- Switch of the flame and add cumin seed powder, cardamom powder and dry ginger powder. Mix well..
- Finally add powdered sugar and mix well..
- Allow it to cool completely..
- Tasty sarkara varatti/upperi is ready..
What is sarkkara upperi or sarakra varatti? Sarkara Varatti or Banana chips coated with jaggery is a traditional sweet dish popular among the Keralites. It is also known by the name 'Sarkara Upperi'. Sakkara Varatti or Sarkara Upperi or Jaggery Coated Plantain chips is one of the popular Kerala dish. We can get these chips in hotchips stores but we This Sakkara Upperi or Sakkara Varati is usually served in Onam Sadya.