Gudeg – Young Jackfruit Stew.
You can cook Gudeg – Young Jackfruit Stew using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Gudeg – Young Jackfruit Stew
- You need 2 Tbsp of cooking oil.
- Prepare 4 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 250 of diced beef.
- It’s 2 of canned young green jackfruit.
- It’s 200 ml of coconut milk.
- You need 1 of black tea bag.
- You need 50 gram of palm sugar or dark brown sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of salt or more to taste.
- You need 4 of hard boiled egg.
- You need 1 inch of ginger, bruised.
- It’s 2 inch of galangal, bruised.
- It’s 4 of garlic cloves.
- It’s 2 tsp of coriander seeds.
- It’s 8 of candlenuts (closest substitution is macadamia nuts or 10 blanched almonds).
- Prepare 3 of shallots.
Gudeg – Young Jackfruit Stew instructions
- Pound the candlenuts, coriander, garlic, shallots and salt in a mortar and pestle until you have a smooth paste. Add a little bit of water if needed to get it going..
- Preheat a large pot with cooking oil. Add the ground spices, bay leaves, bruised ginger and galangal and sauté until fragrant..
- Add the diced beef and stir to mix. Pour coconut milk, tea bag, salt and brown sugar. Bring it to a boil and then lower the heat and cover to let it cook for next 1 hour. Give it a stir every now and then..
- Uncover and then add in the young jackfruits and hard boiled eggs and let it cook again for another hour or so until the jackfruit is soft to the point where you can easily shred it with a fork. The diced beef should be soft. The liquid should be almost all absorbed at this point and the eggs are nicely tinted with brown color..
- Serve with rice and sambal on the side..