New York Jewish Challah Braid.
You can cook New York Jewish Challah Braid using 10 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of New York Jewish Challah Braid
- You need 2 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 envelope of active dry yeast.
- It’s 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of kosher salt.
- You need 3/4 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- You need 1 large of egg.
- Prepare 1 of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1 of egg yolk.
- You need 1 of poppy seeds.
New York Jewish Challah Braid instructions
- In mixer, nix 1 1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar and salt. In a measuring cup add hot water and 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil and mix together. Add to flour mixture..
- Beat with mixer on low, 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently..
- Add the egg and mix till smooth. Add in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle and consistency no be sticky..
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead for 5 minutes until dough becomes smooth and elastic..
- place dough in vegetable oil greased bowl turning over to grease both sides. Cover with dish towing and let rise in warm place for 2 hours. You can tell when dough is ready if an indentation remains when touched..
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Set aside..
- Punch down dough and evenly divide dough into three parts. Roll each part into a rope of about 14 inches long..
- Place ropes close together on cookie sheet. Braid ropes gently and loosely (don't stretch)..
- Fasten ends together and tuck under securely. Brush with oil, cover again and let ruse for 45 minutes in a warm place or until doubled..
- Preheat oven to 375. in a bowl, mix together egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water together. Brush all over braid. Sprinkle with poppy seed..
- Bake 25-30 min till golden. (Check bread at 15 minutes and tent with aluminum foil if bread seems to be browning too quickly)..
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool..