Fried green plantains. Preparation Cut ends from each plantain with a sharp small knife, then cut a lengthwise slit through peel. Plantain, believed to have originated in southeast Asia refers to the cooking banana, cultivars of the banana plant, which produces an edible fruit that is full of starch and rarely eaten raw. Though similar in appearance, the two banana varieties are typically used in very different ways.
Fried green plantains – tostones – are crispy and savory, often served in place of fried potatoes. These fried green plantains known as Patacones or Tostones depending on where you are in the world, are one of our favorite appetizers or snacks! Tostones, or pan-fried green plantains, are practically the Cuban national dish. You can cook Fried green plantains using 3 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Fried green plantains
- It’s of Green plantains (as many as you like).
- Prepare of Oil.
- Prepare of Adobo, garlic powder, salt.
Soaking the tostones in salt water before the final fry makes them crunchier outside and moister inside, but you can skip. Tostones or Fried Green Plantain are such a crunchy, tasty source of carbs and Plantains can be a bit difficult and tricky to peel, especially when still in their green, unripe state. Tostones: Twice-Fried Green Plantain Chips Recipe. I recommend using green plantains in this recipe, which are still unripe, but you can use yellow ones in a pinch as long as.
Fried green plantains step by step
- Cut ends off plantain, add oil to a pan and put on medium- medium high..
- Cut along slotted indents found naturally in the plantain. Remove all the skin..
- Cut "coins" diagonally along plantain. Don't cut too thin..
- Check to make sure oil is ready by splashing some water into pan, if it bubbles you're ready! Place plantain slices into oil. About 35-45 seconds then flip over, cook 35-45 seconds on other side (light brown). Use a slotted spatula so oil can drip through..
- Remove and place on a plate with paper towel over it..
- If you don't have a plantain masher, grab a coffee cup. Use bottom of cup and smash plantain..
- Put back in frying pan for about 45-55 seconds on each side..
- Remove plantains from oil & put on a new paper towel. Sprinkle with salt, adobo & garlic powder. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce!.
This instructable will teach you how to prepare and cook fried green plantains or Puerto Rican Tostones. The tostones are part of the culture in Puerto Rico and represents its local cuisine. A quick delicious snack anytime that goes good with anything! Neutral oil, such as vegetable or canola oil, for frying. Trim and discard the ends of the plantains.