Russian Borsh. The Russian word for borsch is борщ. However the letter 'щ' doesn't exist in English and you may encounter the following aternative spellings: borsh, borshch, borsch or barszcz. Russian Doukhobors ( Sons of Freedom) one of the areas in Canada I used to live and introduced to them via.
There are many variations of borscht. Borscht became very popular in Russia centuries ago. Now this rich stew is associated with Russia and is also known as the Russian red (or beet) soup. You can cook Russian Borsh using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Russian Borsh
- You need 1 large of beet grated.
- Prepare 1 medium of onion diced.
- You need 1 medium of carrot grated.
- Prepare 1 of celery diced.
- It’s 2 medium of potatoes quartered.
- You need 1/2 head of cabbage thinly sliced.
- Prepare 1 lb of beef or veal stew.
- You need 1 tbsp of tomatoe paste.
- Prepare 10 cup of water.
- Prepare 3 clove of garlic cut in halves.
- You need 2 tbsp of oil.
Other spellings include: borsch, borsh, borsht. Borscht cooked in a clay pot inside a Russian oven in the Poltava region in central Ukraine. The vegetables most commonly added to borscht are beetroots, white cabbage, carrots, parsley root. Russian Beet Soup is made with beans giving the soup its rich flavor.
Russian Borsh instructions
- pour the oil in a pot, sautee onions until golden..
- Throw in the grated carrots and the grated beets..
- stir and leave to saute for about 10 minutes..
- Add the tomato paste, stir and leave for another 10 minutes..
- Add the meat, potatoes, and the garlic.
- Add water to the pot, and bring to boil.
- cover partially, lower the heat to medium/low.
- let simmer for about an hour.
- In an hour, add the diced celery and the sliced cabbage.
- Cook for another 30 minutes until the cabbage is soft..
- pour into a bowl, with a dallop of sour cream (optional).
Perfect with No-knead, Crusty Vegan Bread. I get asked this question a lot. A borscht recipe like this one is one Oh Yum!! I can't believe I missed this post! I haven't made it in a while.