Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy. This meatloaf is dressed up with a seasoned mushroom gravy. Meatloaf is not the invention of thrifty housewives trying to stretch a small amount of costly meat with fillers and spices. It actually dates, in one form or another—patties or loaves—to ancient Rome and probably before that.
I made this gravy with the meatloaf recipe found on this site called "Brown Sugar Meatloaf" without the brown sugar and ketchup, also substituted the crackers for Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs and a heartier dose of garlic. Remember the beef stock is a big part of this recipe, either make your own (big. This is a classic meatloaf recipe with a mushroom twist. You can cook Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy using 20 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy
- It’s 1 Pound of chuck , ground.
- You need 1 Pound of veal , ground.
- It’s 1 Pound of chicken pork or , ground.
- Prepare 2 of eggs , lightly beaten.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of Dijon mustard.
- You need 1/2 Cup of Ketchup.
- It’s 1/2 of onion , finely chopped.
- You need 1/2 Cup of milk.
- It’s 3 of white bread (crust removed) Slice.
- You need To Taste of kosher salt.
- It’s To Taste of black pepper , freshly ground.
- It’s 2 Tablespoons of onion , finely chopped.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of canola oil.
- You need 2 Cups of beef broth.
- It’s 8 Ounces of mushrooms , sliced.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of flour.
- You need 1/4 Cup of heavy cream.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of butter.
- Prepare 1 Clove of garlic , minced.
I think this is the BEST meatloaf recipe! A moist ground beef meatloaf with lots of flavor. Though we would never fault the classic glazed loaf, a recipe for a rustic meatloaf with hearty mushroom gravy piqued our interest. That means fried chicken with a crunchy coating and moist meat, a low-fat recipe makeover for macaroni and cheese that's as creamy and cheesy as the full-fat.
Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy step by step
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees..
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, ground pork, ground chicken, and onion. Mix by hand and set aside..
- Tear the trimmed white bread into small pieces. Place into a bowl and soak the bread in the milk..
- Add the beaten eggs, ketchup, mustard, and Worcestshire sauce to the bowl with the soaked bread. Mix lightly by hand, and then combine with the meat. Add salt and pepper. Continue to mix by hand until all ingredients are blended together..
- Shape the meat mixture into a loaf and place into a baking pan that has sides. Place the meatloaf into the oven and cook for one hour at 400 degrees..
- While the meatloaf is cooking, prepare the mushroom gravy on the stove. In a medium pan or pot, add the oil and butter and allow it to heat for 2 minutes on medium heat..
- Add the onions and garlic. Sweat over low heat until tender and translucent. Add the mushrooms and turn up to medium heat. After about 5 minutes, add the flour. Saute until browned and tender..
- Add the beef broth and heavy cream, and simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Turn off the heat and let the gravy sit until the meatloaf has finished cooking..
- After one hour, take the meatloaf out of the oven and let it rest for 5 – 10 minutes. Slice the meatloaf and serve with mushroom gravy on top..
If you're a comfort food lover. The meatloaf itself is tender with two kinds of meat, garlic, onions and worcestershire. Now I know that meatloaf is traditionally topped with ketchup and my little guys might prefer it that way, but seriously, I'm a gravy kinda girl. Instead of using breadcrumbs to bind this meatloaf, you tear up bread into small pieces to provide delicate pockets of softness in each slice of meatloaf. For a decadent touch, the meatloaf is wrapped in bacon and served with a velvety mushroom gravy.