You can have Bolognese Sauce using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Bolognese Sauce
- Prepare 2 tbsps of olive oil.
- It’s 6 tbsps of unsalted butter.
- You need 1 cup of onion, small dice.
- It’s 1 1/3 cups of carrot, small dice.
- Prepare 1/2 lb. of ground beef chuck (80% lean – no leaner).
- You need 1/2 lb. of ground pork.
- It’s 1/2 lb. of ground veal.
- It’s of salt.
- You need of peoper.
- It’s 2 cups of whole milk.
- It’s 2 cups of red wine.
- It’s 3-5 cups of canned Italian plum tomatoes with juices, diced.
Bolognese Sauce instructions
- Place the oil, butter, and onion in a large pot (don’t use cast-iron) over medium heat..
- Sauté the onion until it is translucent, then add the carrot. Stir for 2 minutes..
- Add the ground meat, a large pinch of salt, and some freshly ground pepper..
- Brown the meat and break any clumps into small pieces..
- Pour the milk into the pot and simmer, stirring often, until the liquid has cooked away completely (about 45 minutes)..
- Add the wine and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, until it has evaporated (about 30 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, stirring well to mix everything together. When the sauce starts to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer..
- Let the sauce cook uncovered for 3 hours (or more), giving it a stir every now and again. If all of the liquid boils off before the cooking time is done, stir in 1/2 cup of water and continue to simmer. Repeat as necessary. By the end, there should be no liquid left. Season with salt to taste. Makes 4 cups of sauce. Can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 days or frozen..