Mario Batali's Lasagna Bolognese.
You can have Mario Batali's Lasagna Bolognese using 24 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mario Batali's Lasagna Bolognese
- Prepare of Ragu.
- Prepare 1 cup of extra-virgin olive oil.
- You need 2 medium of onions,, finely c.
- It’s 1 of carrot, finely chopped.
- It’s 4 of stalks celery, finely chopped.
- It’s 5 clove of garlic, sliced.
- You need 1 lb of veal, ground.
- Prepare 1 lb of pork, ground.
- It’s 4 oz of pancetta, ground.
- You need 1 oz of 8 ounce can tomato paste.
- You need 1 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of white wine.
- It’s 1 tsp of fresh thyme leaves.
- Prepare 1 of Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Prepare of Béchamel.
- It’s 5 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of flour.
- Prepare 3 cup of milk.
- You need 2 tsp of Salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of freshly grated nutmeg.
- Prepare of Lasagna.
- Prepare 3/4 of to 1 pound fresh pasta sheets, about 7 by 4 inches, or dried lasagne noodles blanched for 6 minutes and refreshed.
- You need 1 cup of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- It’s 1 of Oil for brushing.
Mario Batali's Lasagna Bolognese instructions
- Ragù: In a large heavy-bottom saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, and sweat over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until vegetables are translucent..
- Add veal, pork, and pancetta to the vegetables, and brown over high heat, stirring to keep the meat from sticking together..
- Add the tomato paste, milk, wine, thyme, and 1 cup water, and simmer over medium-low heat for 1 to 11/2 hours (if the ragù becomes too thick, add a little more water). Season to taste with salt and pepper, and remove rom heat..
- Béchamel: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, add the flour, and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring regularly, until the mixture turns golden brown, about 6 to 7 minutes..
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until it is just about to boil. Add the milk to the butter mixture, 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until the sauce is very smooth. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 seconds longer. Remove from the heat and season with salt and nutmeg..
- Assembly: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Brush a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with melted butter or oil, and layer in the following order from the bottom: ragù, pasta, béchamel, and grated cheese (saving about 1 cup béchamel for last topping), making 3 to 4 layers of pasta, finishing with ragù, béchamel, and 1/4 cup of the Parmigiano-Reggiano sprinkled over the top. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the casserole is bubbling. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 20 minutes, slice, and serve.