Fried Plantains (patacones Fritos A La Colombiana).
You can have Fried Plantains (patacones Fritos A La Colombiana) using 14 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Fried Plantains (patacones Fritos A La Colombiana)
- You need 3 each of Green Plantains Pealed divided in two (as green as you can get them).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Vegetable Oil (enough to cover the pan to 1/4 inch at least).
- You need of Soaking Mix.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Vinegar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Lemon juice.
- It’s 1 of Salt to taste.
- It’s 1 tsp of Garlic.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Water.
- You need of Topping.
- It’s 2 each of Chicken Breast cooked and shredded.
- It’s 1 of Salt.
- You need 1 of Italian seasoning.
- You need 4 each of Tomatoes (diced) you can also use canned diced tomatoes and/or bell peppers.
- Prepare 1/2 each of Onions (minced).
Fried Plantains (patacones Fritos A La Colombiana) instructions
- Each plantain should be pealed and cut into halves. Crosswise not lengthwise..
- Have ready two small cutting boards. Covered them with plastic wrap to avoid a mess with the plantains and have a better result. Since the plantains are still hot, the plastic wrap helps you to have a complete plantain once you pressed it down rather than having to scrap it off from the board. Take my word for it..
- Have ready the Soaking mix in a deep plate..
- Heat the vegetable oil to high. Reduce to medium and slightly fry the plantains. Only 30-45 seconds on each side. You don't want them too dark, just slightly golden because you will fry them back again..
- Dry the plantains on a paper towel and put aside..
- In the meantime, you can start working on the topping..
- In a pan, heat up one tablespoon of oil, and add the onions and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stir for another 1-2 minutes. Add the shredded chicken. Add the spices and mix well. Let it cook in LOW for about 4 minutes stirring sporadically. In the meantime, work on pressing and frying the plantains for the second and last time..
- Press each half plantain with the all ready cutting boards down to 1/2 inch approximately. Press evenly and not less than 1/2 inch to avoid the plantain to become just crumbs..
- The frying pan should be heating the oil to medium before dipping the plantains again..
- Dip the pressed plantain into the soaking mix for couple of seconds and put into the hot oil and fry for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side. Depending on how hot the oil is, it might take longer. Be careful on this step. You don't want to burn yourself. When flipping the plantains on the other side make sure to keep the plantain together. Even if you see they are falling apart, no worries. Just keep it together with the help of spatulas and it will be fine. They are ready when the texture looks crunchy. They should look golden and crunchy..
- Dry the plantains with paper towels. You should have your topping ready. You want to serve the plantains hot to avoid sogginess..
- Serve with the topping on top. And Enjoy..