Southern fried okra. Golden brown with a little fresh green showing through, these okra nuggets are crunchy and addicting! Southern Fried Okra Recipe photo by Taste of Home. But nothing beats straight up fried okra.
Fried okra is a truly delicious side dish. It seems no matter the time of year, whether it be frozen or fresh, okra always adds that "fresh from the garden" taste to any meal. Try our Fried Okra recipe tonight for a classic Southern meal. You can cook Southern fried okra using 9 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Southern fried okra
- It’s 1 of and ahalf cup sliced fresh or frozen or Okra Thawed.
- You need Tablespoons of butter milk.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of cornmeal.
- You need of Quarter teaspoon salt.
- You need of Quarter teaspoon garlic herb seasoning blend.
- You need 8 of th teaspoon pepper.
- It’s of Oil for deep fat fry.
- You need of Additional salt and pepper optional.
Pan Fried Okra without breading is an easy way to enjoy fresh okra. A little bacon grease added to Share your memories of this great Southern dish with us. It will only take a minute or two for you to. Southern Fried Okra: (adapted from Ezra Poundcake).
Southern fried okra instructions
- Pat the okra dry with paper towels. Place buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, Combined the Flour, cornmeal, salt, seasoning blend and pepper. Dip okra in buttermilk, then roll in cornmeal mixture..
- In and electric skillet or deep fat fryer, One in period of oil to 375°. Fry the okra, A few pieces at a time, for one and ahalf to 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain the fried okra on paper towels. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired..
A prerequisite to being branded as a true Southerner is learning to properly fry. Fresh, fried okra is soo simple to fix and soo good! Put some okra pieces in milk mixture and then coat in cornmeal batter. This classic Southern fried okra recipe is a great way to enjoy down-home flavor in the comfort of your own kitchen. ADD YOUR REVIEW. #friedokra #friedsquash #builtforthewild.