Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada). This traditional Greek dish hails from Corfu and typically employs rooster cuts or beef. The meat is primarily seared and then sautéed in a flavorful tomato-based sauce alongside onions, garlic, olive oil, wine, and Where to eat the best Pastitsada in the world. We're still collecting the most relevant info.
Pastitsada (Greek: Παστιτσάδα) is a Greek dish consisting of pasta topped with meat braised in a spicy tomato-based sauce. Often associated with the island of Corfu. Pastitsada, one of the signature dishes of Corfu, is not just another stew with tomatoes and a few spices, but an elaborate ritual. You can have Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada) using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada)
- Prepare 800 g of veal or beef, cubed.
- It’s 2 of onions, chopped.
- It’s 1 tsp of paprika.
- Prepare 4 cloves of .
- Prepare 4 of pimentos.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 2/3 cup of oil.
- Prepare 1 cup of crushed tomatoes.
- You need 2 cups of water.
- You need of salt.
- It’s of pepper.
- You need of perciatelli/ bucatini.
- You need of grated kefalotiri or parmesan cheese.
For those who are not familiar with it, this flaming red dish derives its colour from the healthy amount of hot paprika added to the meat even before any tomatoes are. Here's an absolutely fantastic dish called pastitsada. This video will show you how to make a traditional Greek pastitsada recipe from the island of Corfu aka Kerkyra. This very easy Greek pasta recipe uses a few very common ingredients and is simple to prepare.
Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada) instructions
- Sauté the onions in half of the oil, till soft..
- Add the meat, and brown well for 4-5 minutes over high temperature..
- Add the cloves, pimento, bay leaves, paprika, pepper and lastly, the salt. Lower the heat, and add the rest of the oil, the tomato, and the water. Let simmer gently for 1 hour..
- In the meantime, boil the pasta according to packet instructions..
- Serve the pasta together with the meat sauce and sprinkle grated cheese generously over it..
The sauce should be thick; reduce it if it is not. Remove and discard the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cloves (if you can find them). Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, salt abundantly and add the pasta. Drain when soft and pour into a deep serving bowl or platter. Photo by Ivan Vighetto, from Wikimedia Commons.