Matzos Pie Topping from the Settlement Cookbook 1965. The compendium of recipes, cooking techniques, nutrition information. All the pie crust recipes use butter, not lard. And pork is conspiciously absent from the section on meats.
Do the same with other matzos until the bottom is covered, letting the matzos drape over the edges of the pan. The Settlement Cookbook began its life as a cookbook for new Jewish immigrants, featuring many familiar homey [Orange meringue pie anyone? Yummy.] Minas, or layered matzo pies, are found in Jewish cuisine from Egypt to Turkey to the Isle of Rhodes. You can have Matzos Pie Topping from the Settlement Cookbook 1965 using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Matzos Pie Topping from the Settlement Cookbook 1965
- It’s 2 of matzos.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of shortening or non-dairy passover margarine.
- Prepare 2 of yolks of hard-cooked eggs.
- Prepare 1 cup of sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 2 of raw eggs, well beaten.
- Prepare 1 of whole lemon rind, grated.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of matzo Meal.
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world. Jump to navigation Jump to search. To comply with Jewish dietary laws, matzo prepared for Passover must comply with the following rules: It must be prepared by observant Jews. Matzo balls began as the German Knödel, a bready dumpling.
Matzos Pie Topping from the Settlement Cookbook 1965 instructions
- Soak the matzos in water for 10 minutes and squeeze dry..
- Cream shortening, add matzos and stir until thoroughly blended..
- Mash yolks of hard-cooked eggs with a fork, then add to shortening mixture..
- Add sugar, salt and raw eggs..
- Add grated lemon rind, nutmeg and lastly, the matzoh meal, stirring thoroughly as each ingredient is added..
- Use as topping for any fruit pie..
- Drop spoonfuls of batter, not to close together, on top of Filling..
- Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes..
Jewish cooks in the Middle Ages first adapted the dumplings to add to Sabbath soups, using broken matzo with some kind of fat like chicken or beef marrow, eggs, onions, ginger, and nutmeg. As Jews moved eastward from Germanic lands to. Start by marking "The Settlement [Orange meringue pie anyone? Yummy.] Much better than this cookbook which advises you to butter. Matzo Recipes for Passover is a group of recipes collected by the editors of NYT Cooking.