Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada). Here is the original authentic recipe with the ingredients and the way to make the most characteristic dish of Corfu's cuisine. Add the cloves, pimento, bay leaves, paprika, pepper and lastly, the salt. Lower the heat, and add the rest of the oil, the tomato, and the water.
Lay your pasta out on a platter and lay the pieces of juicy, flaky meat on top and pour more sauce over. Finish the dish with more grated cheese and the bay leaves for garnish. Corfiot pastitsada is probably the most popular dish in the island. You can have Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada) using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada)
- You need 800 g of veal or beef, cubed.
- You need 2 of onions, chopped.
- Prepare 1 tsp of paprika.
- It’s 4 cloves of .
- It’s 4 of pimentos.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 2/3 cup of oil.
- Prepare 1 cup of crushed tomatoes.
- You need 2 cups of water.
- You need of salt.
- It’s of pepper.
- You need of perciatelli/ bucatini.
- Prepare of grated kefalotiri or parmesan cheese.
This recipe is made until today in the region of Verona and its original name was pastissada or Pastissáda de cavál, because people made it with horse meat. The meat is initially cooked with oil, spices, onion, garlic and red wine. After that, cinnamon, nutmeg, laurel, fresh tomato, tomato paste and sugar are added. It is served with pasta and grated cheese.
Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada) instructions
- Sauté the onions in half of the oil, till soft..
- Add the meat, and brown well for 4-5 minutes over high temperature..
- Add the cloves, pimento, bay leaves, paprika, pepper and lastly, the salt. Lower the heat, and add the rest of the oil, the tomato, and the water. Let simmer gently for 1 hour..
- In the meantime, boil the pasta according to packet instructions..
- Serve the pasta together with the meat sauce and sprinkle grated cheese generously over it..
Traditional dishes from Corfu that we would like to suggest you are Sofrito (veal cooked in wine sauce, garlic and white pepper), grilled lamb, turkey soup Avgolemono and Pastitsada (veal or chicken meat cooked with fresh tomatoes, cinnamon, wine, onions and different spices. It is served with pasta or potatoes). A thick pastry, properly called pasta frolla, made of flour, butter, sugar, egg and water, topped with home-made jam and decorated with strips of pastry. One of the island's signature dishes, it's made with cockerel or veal, and is often served on holidays or at official dinners. By then, there should be a deliciously reduced sauce, smooth and sweet with the melted onions.