Toni's Shepherds Pie. Great recipe for Toni's Shepherds Pie. The Shepherd's Pie from Tony's Markets The original dish, Cottage Pie, was made from minced beef and essentially a way to use up leftovers. Later minced lamb was used and hence the name Shepherd's Pie – I say make it with any ground meat you like or chop up last week's leftovers and toss them in pot – just make it!
Homemade shepherd's pie made with ground meat, vegetables, simple seasonings, and the most delicious cheesy mashed potato topping. I love comfort foods that are family-friendly and all-in-one pan! Shepherd's pie is just that; you have your meat, veggies, and starch (hello mashed potatoes!) all in one pan and they go so well together. You can have Toni's Shepherds Pie using 21 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Toni's Shepherds Pie
- You need of ground beef.
- Prepare of ground veal.
- Prepare of russet potatoes.
- It’s of red wine.
- Prepare of beef broth.
- Prepare of mayo (Hellmans).
- You need of frozen mixed peas & carrots.
- You need of yellow onion.
- You need of garlic minced.
- It’s of white mushrooms.
- Prepare of unsalted butter.
- You need of whole milk.
- You need of parmesan cheese freshly grated.
- It’s of onion powder.
- You need of garlic powder.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of black pepper.
- You need of fresh thyme.
- It’s of fresh rosemary.
- Prepare of frozen pie crusts.
- Prepare of evoo.
Oh the terminology of Shepherd's Pie vs. Spread mashed potatoes over top and using the back of a spoon, make decorative swirls over the top. This might end with simply reheating leftovers, but worth a shot to see if anyone has any creative ideas for leftover shepherd's pie. I made a huge batch a couple days ago.
Toni's Shepherds Pie step by step
- let pie crusts thaw at room temp, slice mushrooms, slice onion, mince garlic cloves, chop thyme and rosemary..
- peel potatoes, cut into square inches, rinse clean, boil water add salt, then once water is boiled add potatoes.
- heat a large frying pan over medium heat add 2 tspn of evoo & 2 tspn of butter, then add sliced onions & mushrooms a pinch of salt & pepper and brown mushrooms & cook onions until their translucent..
- then add 1 lb of ground beef and 1 lb of ground veal add garlic powder, onion powder, pinch of pepper, & pinch of salt, brown meat, then add frozen mixed peas & carrots, red wine & beef broth cook to a simmer on medium low heat till absorbed, then add minced garlic, thyme, rosemary, & set to side..
- preheat oven now at 400°.
- drain potatoes, add back to pot add 1/2 stick of butter, 2 tbsp of mayo, pinch of salt & pepper, onion & garlic powder to taste, 1/2 cup of milk and smash & mix by hand till smooth yet a tad bit chunky for texture, then add Parmesan cheese and mix lightly..
- now add even scoops of meat & veggie filling to pie crusts, then on top of that generously add potatoes to the top of filling and smooth around with spoon, place in preheated oven till the top of potatoes get golden brown and trimming of pie crust is golden browned, take out let sit covered with a tinfoil tent for about 10 to 15 mins, cut each pie into fours and serve.
Trying to think of a different way of eating it tonight, but not sure if that exists. Make this easy shepherd's pie of a wintry evening – comfort food at its best. There is Shepherds Pie and then there is Sheepherders Pie Out here in the west in California the cowboys called theirs "Sheepherders Pie". Brown meat, add a little flour make a rue, add some water add carrots, celery, onion, or whatever else you like for veggies put mashed tators on top bake in the oven in an old cast iron skillet or Dutch Oven. Chef Tony Ng's Shepherd's Pie continues to be a crowd-pleaser at Kensington Place, a memory care community in Redwood City!