Tofu Shiitake Mushrooms Vegan Bao Buns (Chinese Steamed Buns). Fluffy steamed buns are slathered in hoisin sauce and stuffed with tender shiitake mushrooms in sweet and savory garlic sauce, quick pickled veggies and crunchy peanuts to make these scrumptious vegan bao buns! I've been sitting on this recipe for over a year. And that's kind of a shame because.
I highly recommend using a Bamboo Steamer to steam Chinese steamed. Vegetarian Steamed Buns With Hoisin Glazed Mushrooms. Tempeh Stir-Fry With Bell Peppers in Teriyaki Sauce. You can have Tofu Shiitake Mushrooms Vegan Bao Buns (Chinese Steamed Buns) using 22 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tofu Shiitake Mushrooms Vegan Bao Buns (Chinese Steamed Buns)
- You need of For the Buns:.
- You need 3 cups of all purpose flour.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1 tbsp of or more sugar.
- It’s 1 of and 1/2 tsp active dry yeasts.
- It’s 1 cup of warm water.
- You need 1 of and 1/2 tbsp vegetables oil.
- It’s of For the vegan tofu shiitake mushroom filling:.
- It’s 1/2 of tofu from 1 packaged firm tofu (shredded or cut tiny in cubed).
- It’s 8-10 of Shiitake mushrooms (dry or fresh. I used the dry one).
- It’s 2 tbsp of hoisin sauce (you can put more or less, as you like).
- You need to taste of Soy sauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of or more sugar (this filling is little bit sweet).
- Prepare of Sriracha (optional).
- You need 1 tsp of lime juice.
- You need of Oil.
- You need of For serving:.
- You need of Shredded purple cabbage (optional).
- It’s of Carrot pickles (optional).
- Prepare of Chopped Cilantro/basil (I skipped it, because I don’t have them in hand).
- It’s of Chopped green onion.
Vegan Chinese Chicken Wings with Hoisin Sauce. Oyster, Shiitake, or Any Mushroom Mix. To make 'ball' style buns, take filling and pulse in food processor until chunky. Vegan char siu bao is a meatless take on the famous Chinese sticky pork buns.
Tofu Shiitake Mushrooms Vegan Bao Buns (Chinese Steamed Buns) step by step
- For the Dough: Mixed together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Stirring well then let it sit for about 10-15 minutes..
- While waiting for the yeast mixture activated. Let’s prepare the dry ingredients. In a mixing bowl or stand mixer add and stir all the dry ingredients. Then add the oil and yeast mixture. Knead at low speed until the dough comes together, soft but not sticky. Continue knead until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is soft and smooth..
- Transfer the dough to lightly greased bowl and covers with a plastic wrap. Let it rise in warm and draft-free place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size..
- While waiting for the dough rises, let’s start making the filling. Coat the bottom of the skillet with oil in a medium heat..
- When the oil is hot place the shredded tofu, cook them until it turns golden brown. Set asides. Add a little bit oil in the skillet then sautéed the mushroom until just brown. Then add the tofu back into skillet and mix it up. Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, and sugar. Combine together add the lemon juice and mix them well. Taste it before turn of the heat. Set asides..
- Now back to the dough. Once the dough has risen in double size. Divide in half. Remove half from the bowl and divide into sixth..
- Roll one of the sixth in to a ball then flatten it use your hand. Using a rolling pin to roll the ball into 3-4 inches around. Brush the top with oil, then fold in half. Then transfer to a piece parchment paper. Do the same way for the rest of the dough. You will have 12 around. Cover with cloth or plastics wrap, let it rest for 20 -30 minutes or more..
- Using the steamer (I used Bamboo steamer), transfer all the buns in the steamer. Make sure to not over crowded. Place the lid on it.Then bring the water to a boil and steam the bun for 10-12 minutes. Carefully removed the lid and take off the buns from the steamer..
- To assembly the bao buns with the filling: Carefully open buns and spread with purple cabbage the fill with the vegan filling mixture then top with the carrot pickles, and sprinkle with chopped green onion. And your bao buns are done and ready to serve. Enjoy!.
- Note: Btw, I was using only 1/2 dough because it was too much for two of us. So I placed the half dough into refrigerator. And I will make them again tomorrow since I still have the filling..
Vegan udon noodles with smoked tofu and cabbage. Do you think it would work to use shiitake mushrooms instead of king oysters? Vegetarian Bao Buns are filled with sauteed mushrooms like enokis. Traditional bao buns use lard but these are Filling for Steamed Bao Buns! sautéed mushrooms with tons of green onions and sesame seeds. Keywordbao bun recipe, bao buns, chinese bao buns, how to make bao buns.