Herb Crusted Standing Rib Roast. Removed rib roast from fridge two hours prior to seasoning, drying surface with paper towels. The herb crust came together superfast in the mini-chop and was rubbed on at last minute. This herb-crusted standing rib roast is a welcome change from turkey over the December holidays.
But it's actually easy to prepare. This roast is wonderfully flavored with a prime rib rub featuring lots of fresh herbs. I got the entire standing rib roast—the primal rib section of the steer, bones six through twelve—cut into one four bone piece and another three bone piece. You can cook Herb Crusted Standing Rib Roast using 9 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Herb Crusted Standing Rib Roast
- It’s 7 lb of Rib Roast.
- You need 1/4 cup of Chopped Fresh Thyme.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Chopped Fresh Rosemary.
- You need 1 of Chopped Fresh Oregano.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Kosher Salt.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Ground Black Pepper.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Garlic Powder.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- It’s 4 cup of beef broth.
I decided to divide this up into two different test recipes, of which, this herb-crusted version was the clear winner. The first step to preparing this. Prime rib with a garlic-herb crust roasted on its own ribs produces a tender, succulent prime rib roast, and the crust adds an incredible flavor that Place the bones in the bottom of a large heavy roaster pan. The ribs will serve as the rack for the roast.
Herb Crusted Standing Rib Roast instructions
- Rub rib roast all over with olive oil. Rub salt, pepper, garlic powder and herbs all over roast. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 12 hours or over night. The longer the better..
- Take roast out of refrigerator about an hour before cooking to bring it to room temperature. Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Place roast in a large roasting pan and place in oven. Cook for 20 minutes..
- After 20 minutes reduce heat to 350°F and add 2 cups of beef broth to bottom of roasting pan. Continue roasting adding more beef broth as needed until internal temperature reaches 145°F for medium rare..
- Take roast out of oven aset on a cutting board to rest for 20-30 minutes..
- Pour drippings left in botton of roasting pan into a fat separator and drain off fat. Return Au Jus to a medium sauce pan and add 2 cups of beef broth..
- Bring Au Jus to a boil over medium heat and boil until reduced by a third. Pour into a gravy boat to serve..
- Remove roast from the bones and slice between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. Place on serving platter serving bones on the side for those that want to indulge..
Sprinkle both ribs and roast generously. And you pass over it in favor of the standard roast because you're waiting for a special occasion. Cooking rib roast or roast prime rib using my recipe cooking a standing rib roast. A salt, herb, and flour crust blankets the standing rib roast while it cooks, sealing in all the juices and infusing the meat with flavor. The result is a tender, perfectly medium-rare roast beef that's seasoned all the way through.