Middle Eastern baklava recipe.
You can have Middle Eastern baklava recipe using 14 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Middle Eastern baklava recipe
- It’s 2 cup of all purpose flour.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of salt.
- You need of As required water.
- It’s 3 tsp of oil.
- You need 1 tbsp. of lemon juice.
- You need of Ingredients for baklava :.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 1 cup of mix dry fruits coarsely pistachios walnuts and almonds.
- Prepare 10 tbsp of unsalted melted butter.
- It’s 12 sheets of homemade phyllo dough.
- You need 2 drops of orange food colour.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare as needed of sugar syrup.
- You need 1 tbsp of orange extract.
Middle Eastern baklava recipe step by step
- Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl and add the water with oil. Stir until form's soft dough. Then kned in the bowl about 10 minutes. Dough will feel sticky at first but kneading. It should develop into a dough that become smooth and satiny..
- When well mixed and smooth. Wrap pastry in plastic wrap and leave it to rest at room temperature about 1 hour. If not all the dough is being used right away. Wrap the unused portion and keep chilled in fridge up to a week..
- Always bring room temperature before using divide the pastry into 12 portions shaping them into smooth ball..
- Cover with a cloth excett the one you're working with tack a ball of dough and shape it into a square. Place it on a lightly floured surface and roll into a 6 inch square using rolling pin..
- Dust again with flour dowel and place on one end of the pastry. And roll neatly into the dowel pressing firmly as you do so. Keep hands on each side of the pastry..
- Unroll the pastry and dust the work surface and pastry with a little flour. And roll up agian from opposite as before exerting pressure as you go. Unroll carefully. After second rolling the pastry should be about 10 ×12 inches. Using back of your hands. Place them under the pastry and stretch gently to ward the edges..
- Recipe for baklava :Preheat oven 180 degrees.. Set aside 3 tbsp of mix dry fruits for garnish. Combine the remaining mix nuts in a mixing bowl. Add 1 /2 half cup of the sugar and cinnamon stir to mix..
- Place one sheet of thawed fillo dough on a cutting board them lightly brush it with melted butter. Repeat the process by placing 3 more fillo dough sheets on top of one another while buttering each sheet prior to placing the next one..
- Add 3-4 tbsp of the baklava stuffing along the width of the dough. Roll tightly until the thickness of the roll is about 2/3th of an inch. Cut along the roll to separate it from the left over fillo dough sheets. Which could be used for another roll..
- Cut the baklava roll in to a few pieces a couple of inches each then place in a buttered baking tray and brush rolls one last time with a bit of butter. Bake in oven at 180 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes..
- The colour of a perfectly cooked baklava dough should be light brown /golden. But not too dark as the taste can change..
- Sugar syrup While the baklava is baking. Mix 1 cup sugar with 1 cup water. Place it in a pot on medium heat stirring occasionally. Once it start to boil. Add the orange food colour then lower heat. Let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Once done. Add the orenge extract. Let it rest and cool down. After baklava is backed and while it's still hot. Immediately pour a few tablespoon of sugar syrup all over the rolls and let the dough absorb it..
- Sprinkle a bit of mix dry fruits on each piece for decoration and let rest for 1 hour to serving. Baklava can be stored at room temperature (in an air tight container for 15 days.. Baklava created their own version. I made it traditional diamond shaped pieces. It's yummy 😋 ☕ I like it.